Third year for Working Holiday Makers announced

Third Year For Working Holiday

From mid-2019, working holidaymakers will be able to apply for a third-year visa if certain requirements are met.

Regulations set to be introduced on 1 July 2019 will give Subclass 462 Work and Holiday and Subclass 417 Working Holiday visa holders the opportunity to apply for a third-year visa provided they complete at least 6 months of specified work while holding their second-year visa (or associated bridging visa).

This means that in order to obtain three working holidaymaker visas, applicants are required to complete at least 3 months of specified work in the first year, and an additional 6 months of specified work in the second year.

The work must be undertaken in regional Australia and must be paid in accordance with relevant Australian legislation and awards. Only work completed after 1 July 2019 will be accepted.

The Department of Home Affairs states that the introduction of a third-year visa option was designed to encourage working holidaymakers to “work where there is a critical regional need, and will directly benefit regional Australia through an additional 6 months of regional work”1.

For applicants with passports from Ireland or Canada, the third year can be applied for up to the age of 35. All other applicants can apply up to the age of 31.

If you have any queries on the working holidaymaker visas, specified work, or the conditions on an existing 462 or 417 visa, please contact us


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *