Aquaculture Farmers plan, organise, control, coordinate and perform farming operations to breed and raise fish and other aquatic stock.
Indicative Skill Level:
In Australia and New Zealand:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
- planning and coordinating the operation of hatcheries and grow-out operations taking into account environmental and market factors
- coordinating and overseeing strategies to monitor the environment to maintain optimal growing conditions, minimise the impact of operations on the environment and manage biosecurity and other risks
- coordinating and overseeing strategies to monitor and maintain the health, welfare and condition of aquatic stock
- overseeing and undertaking breeding, feeding and nutrition programs
- overseeing transportation of aquatic stock to new tanks, ponds, cages and floating net pens
- coordinating and overseeing harvesting, grading, processing and packaging operations for aquatic stock
- directing and overseeing general farming activities including the provision and maintenance of farming infrastructure and equipment
- organising the sale, purchase and transportation of aquatic stock
- maintaining and evaluating records of farming activities, monitoring market activity and planning production accordingly
- overseeing data collection and analysis and farm technology systems
- managing business capital including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors
- 121111 Aquaculture Farmer
- Aquaculture Farm Manager
Plans, organises, controls, coordinates and performs farming operations to breed and raise fish and other aquatic stock.
Skill Level: 1
- Grow-Out Manager (Aquaculture)
- Hatchery Manager (Aquaculture)
- Oyster Farmer